Friday, July 29

saengil chukha hamnida

Recently twenty-four years old. (Friendly bunny ears fail!)
Saengil chukha hamnida is "happy birthday" in Korean, I believe!

When some people have their birthdays, they do some fun, social things -- maybe they have parties, or go out clubbing, or have huge dinners. As someone who can be described as "low-tension" I do none of that. On my birthday, three of my closest friends and I went to a Borders bookstore near our area and took complete advantage of their going-out-of-business sale. (Though it could be better; I'm assuming prices will steadily drop as stock dwindles.) Since it was my birthday, I spent money with reckless abandon! I also got some great presents, but here's my haul unrelated to beauty. ♥

Borders collective haul over a two-day stretch.

I'd actually gone to that same Borders a week prior and came out with two books -- the Tsubasa album and Mitch Albom's book, For One More Day (not pictured). I'm a huge fan of CLAMP, the manga creators who created not only Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles, but also some other amazing works like Kobato, xxxholic, and the very well-known Cardcaptor Sakura series. When I saw the Tsubasa art book, it was the last copy around so I had to have it; it was only 10% off but I didn't really care. I love the art of Tsubasa and CLAMP just creates gorgeous characters in general. I could flip through this and marvel for hours. I'm not even lying.

I bought the Mitch Albom book for my younger brother, who shares his birthday with me. We're precisely three years apart, isn't it cool? He's a fan of Albom and has his other famous books, Tuesdays With Morrie and The Five People You Meet In Heaven, so when I saw For One More Day I had to get it for him. :)

My birthday Borders haul included a collection of Pablo Neruda's poems; three Haruki Murakami novels -- Norwegian Wood, Kafka on the Shore and Dance Dance Dance; Yann Martel's Beatrice and Virgil because I am madly in love with his book Life of Pi; and Lisa See's Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. Murakami's Norwegian Wood has been turned into a movie starring Matsuyama Ken'ichi, while See's Snow Flower and the Secret Fan is currently being filmed, starring Jeon Ji-hyun and Li Bing Bing. I'm excited to have all of these books in my shelves, and I have to see those two movies when I can. ♥

Hot Topic was selling "Sailormoon" shirts! I had to get one as a fan!

All I can say for the shirt is, "Don't judge me." Hot Topic had TWO Sailormoon shirts in stock, and this was the only one involving my favorite girl ever, Sailor Mars. I had to get it. I grabbed an XL because the shirt is cotton and will most likely shrink, and I like my shirts loose. I'm a little offended that they went ahead and got Mercury's hair green instead of its usual blue, but I'll overlook it since the five of them look crazy awesome anyway. And of course Luna is beautiful as always, hehe. Sailormoon manga is soon being re-released in the US with totally faithful translations, so I'm excited to see those appear in Barnes & Noble stores...since Borders is closing. (I preferred Borders to B&N, honestly. It had such a cozier atmosphere.)

Handmade for my birthday. Oh yeah. Don't be jelly. ;)

This last thing is technically beauty-related as it's accessories, but I just had to write about them. The bracelet and earrings are handmade by my best and oldest friend, Tracy. She found the beads/stones at the craft store and made them into wearables for me. Therefore, this set is the most kickass set of accessories in the universe. Not only are they handmade just for me, but they are yellow -- my ultimate color. I love yellow. It's my power color, my happy color, my mellow color, my fun color...it just brightens my life. Love it. I'll be wearing these constantly for a good while.

Birthday hauls/presents post coming up along with a bunch of other stuff I haven't written yet. I wore foundation today and I looked like I was crazy perfect in the face. Revlon Colorstay is brilliance in a bottle, I say. Brilliance.

It's three am and I have stuff to finish in the morning before I head out to San Diego. Knocking on wood, this was an incredible birthday. I love my friends, I love my brothers, I love my mum, I love my dad, I love the fact that I got to eat mango cake. Best day? Best day.

(My baby brother got me a birthday present too, by the way. That deserves a post all on its own.)

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Kon!!!! I don't go crazy too when i celebrate my birthdays. Give me spaghetti and rootbeer and I'm happy hehe...

    It's actually kinda sad that Borders is going out of business. My best friend and I used to hangout there a lot.

    ReplyDelete