Saturday, June 25

I've finally hit pan on something!

C.O. Bigelow's Rose Salve that I use mainly as a lip balm.

As you can see, there's a nice, big spot in the middle of that pot of balm that shows the shiny bottom, lol. I bought this pot of Rose Salve at a B&BW some time ago and I've been using it on my lips every night to keep things moisturized. It actually smells like roses, which may put off some people, but I'm not particularly bothered by it in any way. My relationship with roses is pretty neutral.

The salve claims to be "all-purpose," which I assume means it moisturizes any part of the body that needs moisturizing, such as cuticles and rough elbows and knees. I never used it anywhere except my lips. I used my fingers to apply the product, and I always washed my hands before and after use. I never double-dipped, instead applying a first coat of balm with the index finger and dipping my middle or ring fingers into the pot again if I needed more balm. I know that a lot of people are put off by pot balms for sanitation reasons, but I tried to keep things as clean as possible. This stuff goes on my lips.

This product is "Developed by Bigelow Chemists." and is "Not Tested on Animals."

The ingredients are as follows: Petrolatum, Lanolin Oil, Squalane, Flavor (Aroma), Octyldodecanol, Gossypium Herbaceum (Cotton) Seed Oil, Rosa Canina Fruit Extract, Bisbolol, Jojoba Esters, Red 30 Lake (CI 73360)

Directions: Pat on anytime as needed to care for lips and anything that needs a fix.

Pros:
● Smooths onto the lips quite nicely.
● Has a pleasing rose scent. (This is a personal opinion.)
● Moisturizes the lips well over the course of one night.
● Has no odd taste whatsoever.
● Although it looks quite pinky red in the pot, is mostly transparent or at least very sheer on the lips.
● Product melts well with the heat of a finger for good application.
● Fair price for the amount of product. This was perhaps $6USD for 0.8oz or 22g of product, which lasted me...a very long time, especially since I only use this once every night.

Cons:
● Pot form may be a turn off for some people due to sanitation reasons.
● The lid can sometimes be a real bitch to open.
● A little too slippery/greasy to use on cuticles or rough patches. (This is a personal opinion.)

Would I repurchase? No. It's a decent balm but I'm not really wowed by it enough to purchase it again. I'll go back to my nightly routine of using Vitamin A&D ointment for my lips once I use up the pot, which is a petrolatum base infused with said vitamins that help moisturize the skin. (It's widely used by breastfeeding women to help soothe sore and cracked nipples, which says something for its moisturizing properties, I think.) The rose scent may be lacking but to me they do the same thing, which is prevent my lips from drying out at night.

I've also used up a tube of my favorite cleanser! I love it so much that I massacred the tube just to finish the product up to the last remnants.

Pond's White Beauty Facial Foam, bought in the Philippines.

The top part of this tube is somewhere in the trash after I scooped out the product with a couple of cotton swabs and moved them to a pot container. I kept the bottom for photographic evidence, hehehe. This stuff is amazing -- I love the Pond's White Beauty cleanser. When I was in the Philippines during December 2010-January 2011 I realized just how much impact whitening products had on the Philippine beauty community: commercials for whitening products were always on, and there were even salons that specialized in skin bleaching! (I personally would never go for "skin bleaching" but different folks, different strokes, right?)

I don't actually use this cleanser purely for its whitening properties. Instead I love the way my skin feels very refreshed after every use and I find that it cleanses my skin really well. It lathers up into a very luxurious-feeling foam that glides over my skin and its whitening properties help fade acne/brown spots on my face helping me achieve a more even skin tone.

One of my many backup tubes, hehe.

Here are its product claims, directions for use, recommended associated products, and list of ingredients. I'll do a review on this product later on. :)

2 comments:

  1. hahaha "different folks, different strokes"? Seriously hani, the whimsy that erupts from your mouth sometimes. <3it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read in a magazine that Rose Salve is in the top 10 best beauty products out there in the market right now. I really gotta get one for myself.

    By the way, you gotta try lean cuisine. They have some really good stuff. I'm a sucker for frozen dinners haha.

    ReplyDelete