Monday, June 13

2011 summer blog renewal


The first leisure reading of the summer is Neil Gaiman's Coraline, which is a part-fantasy and part-horror short novel -- novella? -- that went on to become an animated motion picture starring Dakota Fanning as Coraline and Teri Hatcher as The Other Mother. This is about the second or third time I've read this book -- which I purchased at a Borders that was going out of business -- and I've also seen the movie, and I just want to say, if you haven't read/seen either of them, please do. It's a very good read. ♥

This evening's topic is a "blog renewal," in the sense that it's obvious I've been neglecting this blog -- and blogging in general -- for a very long time, and it's time for me to return to it. I want to make Faux Naturelle my summer project; it is my hope that this summer, I make a blog that can be both enjoyable and informative in my own way.

I first started a Blogger back when I was first getting into YouTube beauty tutorials, and I found out that a lot of these awesome women had blogs that further detailed their work/hobby with makeup. I've always been a real blogging fiend, having started with Xanga way back in high school and continuing on to LiveJournal when a friend introduced me to it, so I latched on to the idea of beauty blogging almost immediately. It's taken me two Bloggers -- I killed my old one, it just didn't feel like me -- and a lot of time to realize one thing: I'm not a beauty blogger. If there's one thing I've learned about beauty blogging, it's that is a dedicated, selfless art. And as for me: I'm the farthest thing from selfless. I'm selfish as anything.

So it's time for a blog renewal. I want to stick to a solid topic with this blog from now on, and after talking it over with my maknae+ Rose, we both decided that a really good topic would be health. I don't want to write about just physical health, although that takes the most precedence with people in our age range nowadays. The World Health Organization (WHO) defines health as "a state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity."

I want to write a blog dedicated to my health.

So there it is: a start. I told the sannin+ maknae that I was going to start working out again soon and recording my information down in this blog, so we'll see how that works out. I'll be back to working out on my Wii, playing the My Fitness Coach videogame, which is a virtual workout game taught by a virtual physical trainer named Maya. She's a real gem, kind of completely unyielding and strict, but as she's not real I can't actually make her quit on me. I'll be updating my physical health information according to my workout schedule, which will be every Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. Recording my workouts will hopefully keep me on track with both blogging and my workouts, so wish me luck!

Of course, no fitness regimen is complete without at least a slight change in diet.


Lately I've been indulging a lot by drinking sodas and having late-night snacks. I'll try to limit my soda pop intake to once or twice every week and snack on healthy things like these strawberries when the cravings strike. Luckily, my mum bought a box of these at the nearby farmer's market. ♥ I managed to get through half a Tupperware container's worth before I felt like quitting, haha. Maybe I just need to drink more water to fill up my stomach. For me, eating is as much a hobby as a necessity so it might take some time before I can stop snacking completely. (Or I could stop staying up so late, but that's a project I'll tackle later on...)


Last Wednesday, I went out with two of my best friends to watch "X-Men: First Class" and we had lunch right before. We went to a small Korean restaurant called King Tofu House, which is a restaurant I've only been to twice but already really love. The prices are decent, the servings are immense, and the staff are really nice! On the left, our yonnin+ maknae had a beef bulgogi lunch set; on the right was my kimchi+ jjigae+ with a special appearance by my Blackberry smartphone. I absolutely LOVE jjigae even if it was so hot it burned my tongue. ♥ Of course it was delicious with lots of soft tofu and rich soup, and very warming on that cold day.

By the way, "X-Men: First Class" was a really good movie. It was enjoyable and the cast was 90% amazing. James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender were brilliant.


On the beauty front, these are my most recent purchases. On the left: a facial massage tool and eye makeup remover from The Body Shop, Almay's One Coat Triple Effect mascara in the waterproof formulation, and the Physician's Formula Shimmer Strips Custom Eye-Enhancing Gel/Cream Liner for Brown Eyes. On the right: Olay's Night of Olay firming cream. Out of all of these, the only things I haven't tried out yet are the cosmetics. So far, all the skincare stuff is pretty darn good. How did I ever live without that nifty facial massage tool?

Here's hoping this project's a success! ♥


Translations+
maknae - Korean word for "youngest [sibling]"
sannin - Japanese for "three people" used to describe a group
yonnin - Japanese for "four people" used to describe a group
kimchi - Korean side dish made of spicy, pickled vegetables
jjigae - Korean stew of medium thickness, made with meat or tofu

2 comments:

  1. You go, girl!

    I think I will join in on the blogging front about my own fitness and health!

    Thank you for always being so inspiring! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jemz! I followed your Blogger so I can keep up with you. ♥ Let's work hard together! :D

    ReplyDelete