Thursday, March 11

blog; Tea?

Royal/T: part-café, part-store, part-gallery. It's one of my most favourite places here in California (though I really don't get out much) because it's so kitschy and eclectic. Partly Japanese maid café, partly SoCal art house, and there's always something new every time I visit.

And of course there's the Porta-Party. I definitely recommend it if you're visiting southern California.


8910 Washington Blvd
Culver City, CA 90232
T 310 559 6300

Café: 10am - 5pm daily
Shop & Space: 10am - 6pm daily



This time, the shop's gone mad! (I couldn't be happier.)

The current theme of Royal/T is "Mad March," a reference to both the Mad Hatter and his good friend, The March Hare: and as they're the hosts of Wonderland's perpetual tea parties, seeing Royal/T play along made me wriggle in glee. I'm a huge fan of all things Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass; the books were some of my childhood favourites and they're still favourites now -- in addition, "Jabberwocky" is a poem that still makes my heart flutter to this day. (Even better when Johnny Depp's the one reciting it in his Scottish brogue.) This love has transferred to Alice-themed things, such as the Japanese fashion of Sweet Lolita and Gothic Lolita; or even the era in which the story supposedly took place. I'm...pretty much crazy for Wonderland. This would explain my love for Royal/T, I suppose...


Two of the original illustrations from the books:
LEFT; Alice meets The Caterpillar, and
RIGHT; playing croquet with the flamingos

I wanted to take these jars home...but where would I put them? :(


LEFT; cupcake chandelier of my dreams!
RIGHT; lip gloss rabbit (not a typo!)


LEFT; these boots are epic.
RIGHT; a Cheshire Cat ribbon! ♥

But the best thing about it all was...


...a Wonderland-themed menu.

Unfortunately, their kitchen was closed today owing to an event they were having. I think people reserved the entire place for a party of some sort, there were even more tables than usual.

But yum, that entire menu looks so good! And Royal/T has pretty good food, I have to say -- their salmon is my favourite. Ah, well, maybe next time...like this Saturday.

And just because, here's my FOTD~!


face:
Maybelline Pure Makeup, Nude Light 04
Merle Norman mineral foundation, ML80

lips:
Sephora lip gloss, Rosy Blush

eyes:
GIOVI 120 palette purples
Maybelline single shadow, Silver Lining
Wet 'n Wild cream liner, Black
Revlon Colorstay liner, Black
Rimmel Sexy Curves WP, Black


And just to be non-sequitur...how did you like Lady Gaga's music video for "Telephone"? I thought it was the love baby of kitsch and camp, plus a little twist of Thelma-and-Louise.

No comments:

Post a Comment